Built in the seventeenth century as a sign of devotion to San Gottardo (St Gotthard) on the site of a small chapel dedicated to the saint, the church stands on a panoramic hill near the Albano river, in an isolated position. The building has a central octagonal plan with two side chapels and is preceded by a portico with four columns built in the first half of the nineteenth century. The square was enlarged in 1902 to cope with the ever-increasing number of devotees, while the access road was built in 1906.
Inside you can admire an interesting painting of the “Gloria di S. Gottardo” (Glory of St Gotthard) created in 1628 by Gian Giacomo Barbello and located above the high altar, the polychrome wooden statue of the saint and the fresco depicting the “Madonna and Child flanked by St Gotthard” taken from the previous oratory and probably dating back to the fifteenth century.
In 1938, the church underwent some renovation work and the roof was rebuilt in 1959 thanks to the help and generosity of the locals.