On the south-western spur Montecchio North, not far from the mouth of the river Inganna there are two smaller towers, spaced 30 metres and linked in places by a wall that would suggest a linking fence or a wall of Defense. Some historians suggest the hypothesis that there was already a Roman Lookout on the hill, later occupied by the Lombards.
Today’s towers would be part of the fortification line built by Bernabò Visconti in 1357 to monitor movements on the lake roads.
The south tower was extensively rebuilt at the top, while the lower part shows a medieval parameter. The northern part is better preserved. Years ago, on the south side there was once a great lower arch portal and decentralized, perhaps the work of 16th century implemented due to rupture. In 1610, the entrance was formed from the east side, for access to which then created a stem to scale. The wall texture, with some trilitica windows, is reminiscent of the strategic Fontanedo Tower. The two towers built to control the Lake and inland accesses from the Valleys of Valtellina, Valchiavenna and Valvarrone, are likely to have been related to the castrum de Colego which once stood at the foot of Montecchio North though was destroyed by a flood of the Inganna River in 1469. The towers are currently privately owned and not accessible to the public.
(Text from the Brochure "Colico Outdoor")