Built in the seventeenth century in the centre of the village, the new church of San Giacomo became a parish church in 1673. It has a single nave plan with side chapels, and preserves many Baroque altars inside. The first chapel on the left is dedicated to St Rosalia and has a valuable altarpiece by Pietro Novelli from Palermo which depicts the “Virgin Mary and St Rosalia”, a votive offering of some emigrants who had returned to the town from Sicily. The second chapel, dedicated to St Joseph, has an altar with stucco decorations and an altarpiece depicting the “Transit of St Joseph” by Luigi Tagliaferri of Pagnona.
The chapel next to the side entrance has a canvas painting of the Annunciation, an excellent example of the Titianesque style, created by the Trapani-born Andrea Carrera, and some images of the Madonna.
The presbytery preserves a high altar in polychrome marble dating back to 1734 and an ancient polychrome wooden statue of St James, titular of two churches in Livo. The side walls feature two episodes from the life of Christ, while the vault of the choir is decorated by “The Glory of St James”, both frescoed by Tagliaferri.
The church is open for the mass only. View the dedicated page for the schedule.