The Parish Church of Domaso was built in the thirteenth century in Romanesque style but was completely altered in the late Baroque period (17th century), bringing it to its present form. The interior houses numerous works of art, including a bas-relief representing the “Pietà” (Piety) attributed to the Rodari brothers, an altarpiece depicting the “Madonna and Child with Saints Peter and Paul” by the Bolognese painter Giulio Cesare Procaccini and frescoes of the chapel commissioned by the Spanish governor, Luigi Panizza, buried here in 1639, depicting scenes from the “Life of the Virgin” and the “Mysteries of the Rosary” painted by D. Caresana. Above the altar inside the Panizza chapel is a late Gothic fresco of the “Madonna and Child with Lily”, an object of great devotion for the people of Domaso.
Of great artistic importance and value are also the 17th century frescoes by P. Ligari, a gilded silver processional cross by the goldsmith of Como, G. P. Lierni (1533) and a venerated wooden medieval crucifix. Outside the church is the 18th century Chapel of the Buona Morte (Good Death) decorated inside with a painting of the “Deposition.”
Every day: 7am-6pm
Masses schedule: view the dedicated section