The Church of San Martino was built in the first half of the fifteenth century but was altered several times over the centuries. It stands in Montemezzo in a dominant position overlooking the lake and the nature reserve of Pian di Spagna. Recognised as one of the most frescoed churches in the area, it became a parish church in 1480.
The interior has a single nave with a large rounded triumphal arch that encloses the presbytery.
The apse contains beautiful frescoes depicting the “Crucifixion” and a colourful “Last Judgement” dating back to the late sixteenth century and attributed to Aurelio Luini.
The cycle of paintings by Fiammenghino is of great historical importance, and include frescoes of the “Battle of Faith against Heresy” and the “Feast of the Rosary” depicting the Madonna and Child handing the rosary to San Domenico (St Dominic). Both these works aim at conveying a clear message according to the principles of Counter-Reformation.
The two chapels, the left altar and many sacred vestments were commissioned by emigrants in Sicily and Ancona, who transferred to these lands between the fifteenth and nineteenth centuries in search of work, but never completely severed ties with their native land.
Every day: 8am-7pm
Masses schedule: view the dedicated section