"Weeping" icons are extremely rare phenomena: one of the most famous icon is the one kept in the Shrine of Our Lady of Tears, in Dongo, where in 1553 an image of Mary with the Child has been claimed to have shed tears. The Sanctuary was built between 1553 and 1603 near the ancient Strada Regina; it has a four-column portico. The wooden works (Last Supper and Crucifixion) are noteworthy, as well as the frescoes in the presbytery.
The adjacent convent, belonging to the Friars Minor, dates back to 1607 and preserves an ancient Library. Along the wall of the convent there is also a vegetable garden enriched with small shrines frescoed by F. Beltramelli: they depict St. Francis, Friar Masseo and the Crib at Greccio.
Every day: 8.30am-12pm/3pm-5.30pm
Masses schedule: view the dedicated section