Located in the northernmost tip of the eastern shore of Lake Como, Colico extends behind the enchanting Pian di Spagna and Lake Mezzola Nature Reserve. The territory is characterised by a variety of beautiful landscapes, including the imposing Monte Legnone that towers above the town and the four hills of Morainic origin (the three Montecchi and the Olgiasca hill) that border the lake.
Its lake and mountain landscape make it an ideal and popular destination for those who love nature, relaxation and history, as well as sporting activities and fun. Its ventilated position and numerous beaches make it one of the best places to practice water sports. The 2,609-metre tall Monte Legnone attracts many hikers and climbers due to its numerous trails of all difficulty levels and its breath-taking views. The wide variety of routes for cyclists and bikers includes ancient hillside trails and a bike path leading all the way to Bormio, in Alta Valtellina.
Colico is also a convenient place for travellers who want to reach different cities and points of interest. The town has been an important transport hub since ancient times because several roads intersect here such as those leading to Lecco, Valtellina and Valchiavenna. Owing to its strategic position, it is an area full of history as demonstrated by the two military forts: the 17th century Fort of Fuentes and the Fort of Montecchio Nord, dating back to the First World War. The former was built by the Count of Fuentes during the Spanish rule to control the roads, the latter was built between 1912 and 1914 to close the main road leading to Milan.
Not to be forgotten is the ancient village of Fontanedo, once inhabited by numerous farming families and characterised by the tower built at the behest of the Visconti family in 1357 on the defensive line of the Alto Lario (Upper Lake) to protect the important communication route to the famous “Sentiero del Viandante” (Wayfarer’s Trail). Colico does not only have fortresses, but also expressions of faith such as the marvellous Abbey of Piona. Located on the Peninsula of Olgiasca and with an amazing view of the west coast of Lake Como, the church and its charming cloister are a rare example of Lombard Romanesque architecture. Other churches of significant artistic interest are the Church of San Bernardino in Villatico and the Oratory of San Rocco. The town has a lovely lakeside promenade with a beautiful view of the west bank of the lake which in the summer months becomes a stage for numerous events and festivities.